Thursday, October 02, 2008

Wooed By A King!


Singlehood is fun. I work as long as I want to, hang out with any of my friends anytime, indulge in as many church activities as I please and generally get to run my own life without having to worry about sensitivity to a partner's needs, emotions or time. Being a spinster also means lesser family responsibilities, greater priority allocation to God and His work and a larger expression of the childlike spirit in me. Meaning, I can go out and sail paper boats in rain puddles all day long if I wanted to, without bringing down fire-breathing in-laws on my head!

But singlehood also has its downside. I, the single person, am the one that eyes couples holding hands at the beach, uncomfortably conscious of my own unheld appendages which seem unusually in the way at times like these.....I'm the solo driver raising an unapproving eyebrow when couples (apparently) in love, zip past me laughing and speeding, down the East Coast Road......I'm the bacholerette in the corner of the icecream shop looking for a barf bag 'cos I can't stand the sicky sweet PDA exhibited by the cosy couple nearby.....I'm the cringing spinster that's wishing the earth would open and swallow me up when a host of well-meaning aunties corner me me at weddings thrusting bachelor bio-datas in my face....And last but not least, I'm the single traveller lugging her own baggage through airports and railway stations while demure wives have their husbands do it for them! Honestly, sometimes singlehood is not all its cracked up to be!

But really, it's not like nice guys grow on trees! Plus, marriage is too big a commitment to be entered into as if I were buying a lottery ticket! I'd rather wait and let God finish his painting on the canvas that is my life. Ergo at most times, I find myself desperately pleading with God, to atleast put the desire for singlehood in my heart if His carefully set plans for my future, are aeons away from fruition. And God being God, has responded in the most amazing ways.

On one of those cranky, frustrating evenings when all the world seems like it's in love and you're the only sad sop flitting around aimlessly with a thundercloud permanently fixed over your head, I threw this at God: "Look Lord, I'm single 'cos you're taking your own sweet time sending me my Adam. I'm fine with that, but then my feelings, emotions and desires become your responsibility! I've honoured your will for me....now I trust you to honour the desires you yourself fashioned in me. Not that I desire much, but could you please send me flowers some time? I would like that so much.....". This was my prayer. A silly one maybe, but it makes sense you know if you've been single as long as I have! The next day, I met an old friend who promptly handed me a lovely long-stemmed yellow Gerbera! I don't have to tell you I was thrown!

But being human (and a suspicious one at that), I needed to be convinced this wasn't some weird coincidence. So I pitched with God one more time. This time I wanted a teddybear (What? Almost every girl gets one from her boyfriend doesn't she?) to be delivered to me, lock, stock and barrel by the following Sunday. Come Saturday night, all was quiet and I told myself that the gerbera was a fluke. Early on Sunday morning, my parents woke me up with a "Happy daughter's day!", a kiss on my cheek and a plastic bag thrust into my groggy face. I don't think any of you reading this needs to ask what it contained!!! My parents are loving people, but not spontaneous or impractical gift-givers and the last time they gave me a doll, I was five! And 'Daughter's Day?' That's a first! But people, in the face of all odds, I actually got what I'd wanted! A Minnie Mouse doll is not exactly a teddy bear, but (I've never looked gift horses in the mouth!) this was nevertheless a doll, just like I'd asked and bang on time too!

By now there's probably an unbelieving open-mouthed gaze or a knowing indulgent smile on your face....depending on whether or not you've experienced these for yourself. But here's the best part yet. Even before I could get over the pleasantly awed realisation of having been courted by the king of the universe, I received a text message from a friend that read: "Everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds (Matthew 7:8)". How apt. The Lord certainly enjoys crowning His deeds with appropriate words doesn't He?

So reader, when was the last time you asked God for something and actually believed you'd receive it? When was the last time you did? While I believe God has a soft corner for all us singles who stay rooted in His word, praying His will be done in our lives, His gracious and loving giving is not limited to this small clique. To everyone who truly believes, however trivial or inconsequential the need, (if it will bring joy and not pain for you in the long run), the Lord is quick to sanction it. Try and you'll see I speak truely.

And to all you singles out there still waiting for God's appointed to make his/her appearance over the empty horizon....chillax ok? Your promised one is on the way and will be here soon. In the meantime, sit back and enjoy having your hand held and heart touched by the love of your life - the Emperor Himself. Open your eyes to the love letters He sends you in every dawn and dusk and your ears to his love song, sung to you so passionately in every human voice and birdsong. Submit to His 'agape' love and trust Him to fulfil all your needs, even the smallest ones. Allow Him to fill your life with Himself and completely sweep you off your feet in divine romance. Yield yourself to Him that He may show you what real love is all about. For our heavenly suitor said, "And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies." (Hosea 2:19)

Me...I'm thinking of asking for chocolates next!

11 comments:

M said...

Universe is HIS home , HIS creation and every smallest part of this universe listens to what we wish , what we believe with utmost faith and yes so shall we receive ...
All i can say is my best wishes and prayers true from within on all good to shower your way......
be it love, life ,work be it whatevr .. u are always in my prayers ......
always ....
take care :)

Vishwak Avanan said...

I read your article. I have to appreciate the honesty in those expressions.
Romance is something which cannot happen if one is single. And wait to realize the truth of love and realize the lovely romance in it. Wait for this to happen... until that enjoy waiting...
Guess this is the message. Well said.

Hannah Lauvanya said...

Thanks Meenu! Sweetly said...as always!

Hannah Lauvanya said...

Ooops Vishwak! Is that what got across? Actually I've been trying to say that my relationship with God is more romantic than religious! Being single simply enhances that and allows me to enjoy His love in a way that's not possible for people committed to human love relationships!

Anonymous said...

Being single
Isn't easy to do
When all I can do
Is think of U

Hannah Lauvanya said...

'I' and 'U' in bold - interesting! And yes, being single with someone wonderful in mind is THE most difficult thing in the world. But if GOD wants you to wait, then no arguments. Just wait.

Echoes said...

hi.. you are cute all right! and you are right!!

God bless u...

(((( hugs ))))
Ginny :)

Anonymous said...

"Ask and you shall recieve,
Seek and you shall find...
Knock and the door will be opened to you..."

You dont get it do you, Hannah...

Collen

Hannah Lauvanya said...

Oh I get it better than you think dude. Now I wonder, whatever gave u that idea????

Maria Albina said...

I've been checking this blog, u know why? just to keep myself from coveting other's rosy lives(well, grass is greener on the other end, always)........I was just asking God whether He understood what it meant to be single while all my younger friends are all enjoying their blissful marraige.....And look what I landed into? I've been checking this blog for a year now and guess I get to read the article--in your words-bang on time...I've decided to enjoy my singehood...thanks

Hannah Lauvanya said...

Thank you Maria, but here's a confession of my own. I haven't re-read this article in a year.
Since then many of the sentiments I had expressed have been forgotten and clouded in my ungrateful human memory.
Your appreciation prompted me to read it again...and guess what? A dose of my own medicine is exactly what I needed right now too! So thank YOU my friend for reminding me of what I once believed and now believe again! God bless you!